Saturday 8 July 2017

Offspring diplomacy

Ivanka Trump slotted into her father's seat at the high table at the G20 summit. An unprecedented moment. Trump trips out to see the Indonesian leader in a private session but instead of calling on a senior official to sit in for him he summons Ivanka. It has caused a rumpous. How dare Trump, Ivanka is unelected and holds no cabinet post, the president's critics cried out. But I think it was a great idea. Bring on the younger generation, let them have a say. Actually I don't think Ivanka said anything during her 15 minutes of fame, but she looked pretty savvy sitting there between Theresa May on her left and President Xi Zinping on her right. Did either May or Xi turn to her and say: "Excuse me dear, this is for grown-ups, what do you think you are doing?" I doubt it. They probably thought, oh my God, Trump always has surprises, but let's be nice to her. It's not her fault. I think from now on, every leader should bring his or her favourite child to world summits, or favourite nephew or niece if there's no child. Then, potentially, at the height of a critical negotiating moment, all the leaders could say:"Right, we're off, bring in the kids, let's see if they can sort it out." It will become known as offspring diplomacy. I think it's a terrific idea, provided, of course, the nominated son, daughter, niece or nephew has some clue about what's going on in the world. Ivanka's fine and she's pretty cool. But I can't vouch for the other leaders' families. Neither Angela Merkel nor Theresa May have children of their own, but I'm sure they could nominate a young relation. Putin has two daughters but I doubt he would be happy having either of them sitting in his chair, so he may have a problem with offspring diplomacy. Xi Zinping has a daughter. I can't see him agreeing either, but if Trump does it, then most of the other leaders might feel pressurised. Well done President Ivanka, you looked pretty good with all the oldies (sorry President Macron and Prime Minister Trudeau, I know you're both youngsters).

No comments:

Post a Comment