Wednesday 19 July 2017

Trump and Putin in secret natter

The White House has been desperate to get it across that the "second", previously unacknowledged meeting at the G20 summit in Hamburg between Trump and Putin was nothing out of the ordinary. This was what leaders of countries did, the White House said. But, as everyone knows, these meetings are normally very carefully scripted and choreographed well before they actually happen. Only one meeting of around 30-40 minutes was planned, and none of the media who attended the G20 had any inkling of another session between the two leaders. Well, it wouldn't be such a big deal if it was anyone else but Trump and Putin. But an unheralded, unmentioned second meeting must mean a lot more than Putin saying to Trump: "Hey, Mr President, fancy a coffee, just the two of us?" What was really behind it all? Was this the moment when Putin laid out his cards and said to Trump: "Look, Donald, can I call you Donald? It's time we got things sorted out. I tell you what, I'll deal with Assad and get this whole Syria thing fixed, I'll put pressure on Beijing to get Kim Jong-un off his high horse, and in return, you give me back my two (spook) mansions in the US, turn a blind eye to what we're trying to do in Ukraine, and lift all sanctions." If any of that is true, I suspect Trump would have replied: "Vladimir, my hands are tied at the moment because of all this rubbish about you and me colluding, but I'm happy to come to an arrangement. You get Assad and Kim off my back, permanently, and you can have your mansions back and I'll see to it the sanctions are phased out. Just give me another six months. You should come and spend a long weekend at Mar-a-Lago. Do you play golf?" I reckon Putin and Trump now have a special relationship, even if the above conversation never took place. They like each other, and want to do business together. It's just possible that if Trump can shake off the accusations re the Russia collusion affair, this special relationship might work. It might bring benefits for the world. But can Putin ever be trusted, really trusted?

No comments:

Post a Comment