Monday 3 August 2020

For heaven's sake Joe Biden make up your mind

It's beginning to be a joke. Joe Biden just cannot make up his mind who to choose as his vice presidential running mate. If he gets elected on November 3, is he going to go through the same agonies over who to choose for his secretary of state and defence secretary and White House chief of staff and chief bottle-washer and.....? The papers are full of all his hesitations and doubts and changings of mind and musings. For heaven's sake pick the woman you like best and get on with it. At this rate he's going to select the wrong one. I can feel it in my bones. There will be a huge sigh of relief when he does make up his mind, followed by oh my God he has picked the wrong one, why didn't he go for XXX? As I wrote in a previous blog, having made the decision to pick a woman and definitely not a man, he has already limited his options, however good the women candidates are. In my view, instead of showing how strong he is by saying women only, he is now just demonstrating his weakness and prevarication by spending so much time worrying who will fit the bill best. It doesn't bode well for a decisive president. Surely gut instinct is the best formula for this selection process? I think Trump would have made up hs mind pretty quickly, not that he would have gone for a woman-only ticket. He chose Mike Pence without too much brouhaha and stuck with him, even though it would probably have been better for him and his prospects of reelection if he had dropped the automaton Pence and picked someone more glamorous and dynamic. Does Biden not have a gut instinct? The other thing that is definitely a sign of weakness and indecision is that it has become almost a given that if Biden wins he will only serve one four-year term because he would be in his 80s by the time his first term had been completed. Biden as far as I know hasn't stamped on this generally accepted view. But why hasn't he? Is he also thinking to himself, oh dear, I have to pick a person who will take over from me after my four years are up because by then I'm going to be all weak and feeble. I wouldn't want to vote for a man who thinks like that. I'd prefer someone who says, I'm a fit 77-year-old and by golly I shall be a super-fit 81-year-old and can't wait to serve my second four years. Actually I find this all rather pathetic. For goodness sake, Biden, sign up for the full eight years or drop out.

No comments:

Post a Comment