Sunday 4 July 2021

Donald Rumsfeld, the charming warrior

Much has already been written about Donald Rumsfeld since his death a few days ago, a lot of it blaming him for the US decision to invade Iraq. My memories of him are purely personal. He was without doubt quite a character and above all he had charm and what I can only describe as a Hollywood-style swagger. I first came across him in Mazar-e Sharif in northern Afghanistan in December 2003. I was on an early assignment in Afghanistan after the defeat of the Taliban in 2001. Everything was new to me. I had travelled up to Mazar-e Sharif because the British had a provincial reconstruction team up there, working with the locals to try and improve conditions and security. The base was a dusty old outpost off a long road that seemed to go from nowhere to nowhere. While I was there I was told in confidence that Donald Rumsfeld was due to visit the base during a 24-hour trip to Afghanistan. What he could learn in such a short time I don't know but that was the plan. I was at the base hours before he was supposed to arrive. The British soldiers and civilians were primed for the super VIP. I will always remember the first sighting. Way off in the distance there was a massive dust storm building up. Something was moving fast and furious across the desert road and heading for the British base which, incidentally, also had some American troops around. The dust storm got closer and closer, in fact quite rapidly so. And suddenly a convoy of heavy-duty limousines and trucks and God knows what skidded to a halt outside the base and the dust and sand swirled and swirled high up into the air. A rear door of the third limousine opened and outstepped Tom Cruise.... well no it was Donald Rumsfeld in a suit but it was almost as glamorous. He came, he spoke, he inspired the soldiers to great victories and left. The dust eventually settled. The great cavalcade carrying the US defence secretary with the Hollywood looks had moved on.

No comments:

Post a Comment